Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Does anyone know if it is safe to handle my pet rabbit while I am pregnant?

Rabbits do not have the same risk that is associated with Toxoplasmosis when cleaning out a cat litter box.





They can be the carrier of some zoonotic (humans can get) diseases. Some transmitted by fleas. So there could be some risk. I think a domesticated pet rabbit is a pretty small risk myself.





The best thing is to talk with your Physician, and even your veterinarian can give you information.





I would not clean up the cage, and make sure the rabbit is flea and tick free.





If you do have to get rid of the rabbit hope you find a good home, I know it can be hard to do, but you have to put you unborn's health first.





Best of luck





Added a link on helath hazards associated with certain animals (doubt the URL links are working right now so it is in two parts so you can copy and paste):





http://ib.berkeley.edu/courses


/bio1b/field/pdf/Wkng_Saf_Anmls.pdfDoes anyone know if it is safe to handle my pet rabbit while I am pregnant?
I had a pet rabbit (she was litter trained and kept inside) when I was pregnant with my first son. My doctor said having a rabbit was safe, and I could even change her litterbox. Pregnant women are NOT to change a cat litter box, though! Since cats are meat eaters, there is something in cat feces that is harmful. So, unless your rabbit eats meat, you're safe.Does anyone know if it is safe to handle my pet rabbit while I am pregnant?
no i wouldnt leave it best be safe
no
A rabbit is perfectly safe to have an handle while pregnant.
i do not think that it is good to handle pets while being pregnant, when i was pregnant i gave away my pets.


just ask your primary doctor, im sure she/he will tell you.





good luck with the baby!!
I dont think you can same with cats, ask your doc to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment