Friday, January 22, 2010

I want a rabbit but I already have a dog, two cats, a parrot, a turtle ,and 15 goldfish. Should I get a rabbit?

My mom said no but I really what it I can buy it everything it need. Should I get the rabbit? Please answer this anything will help.I want a rabbit but I already have a dog, two cats, a parrot, a turtle ,and 15 goldfish. Should I get a rabbit?
Although you can get a great rabbit off Craigslist or from an excellent breeder for not very much, keeping a rabbit is not cheap.





I've averaged the cost and it comes out to about $180. That's everything - cage, bowls, grooming supplies, food, hay, bedding, MAYBE a toy, and a $20 rabbit. If you need it spayed or nuetered (highly recommended) it will cost $140 - $230 from a private exotics vet but you could get lucky and find a low-cost rabbit neuter clinic (rare) near by that will cost you about $50.





You could go the cheap route and make the cage or get it off of Craigslist, make toys, use old pet crocks for food/water, use cat or dog combs and brushes for grooming, but you have to buy food and hay. You should also at least buy one book about rabbits. I recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits. It's $15 and the best if you only get one book.





Rabbits live for an average of 7 years but many live to be 9, 10, even 15 years old. Also, rabbit vets charge an arm and a leg for care and many are not that experienced anyway. They are very expensive and it's hard to find a good one.





It's totally up to your mom, you know? Maybe if you rehomed some of your other pets or got a job? It really comes down to finances for most people but if you think there is a chance your mom might let you, try joining your local 4H club and do the rabbit project (fun course of study). It will help you get the most out of having a pet rabbit. 4H kids are the smartest and most responsible pet owners I know.I want a rabbit but I already have a dog, two cats, a parrot, a turtle ,and 15 goldfish. Should I get a rabbit?
Rabbits stink really bad I have one and I have to clean her once a day


everyday and she still stinks
No - I think you have enough to handle now :)

1 comment:

  1. I DO NOT suggest rehoming any of your other pets
    for a rabbit. I did that once and I regretted it so
    much that I had to get the animal back
    I am a child as well. I have a cat, a tortoise,
    two bunnys and a hamster. Bunnies are cute and
    fun. I am always asking for more pets. I do look
    after my current ones though. Just keep asking
    your mum and show how responsible you are.
    My mum let me get a rabbit when I found
    out I was allergic to almost every animal (including
    rabbits.) She said to me ,"If you keep it outside you can
    get one." I have always wanted to be a vet and
    you just have to prove your responsibility. :)

    ReplyDelete