Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Will a wild cat kill a tame, although loose rabbit?

I live in the country, barn, fields all around me and I have a medium sized pet rabbit that hops in and out of his bunny house, missing 3 days. There is a stray cat that shows up now and then, would it kill my bunny?Will a wild cat kill a tame, although loose rabbit?
Yes, and they do, they will even often figure out how the latch on an outside caged rabbit works and open the door to get at the rabbit. If they can't open the door, they will often chew on the rabbit's ears and other parts that stick through the cage. Rabbits don't have a whole lot of defenses against something with teeth and claws. The cat may not kill a largish bunny outright but it can do enough damage so it dies slowly and drag off an injured rabbit. Rabbits outside in certain areas can also be carried off by owls and raptors and other large birds of prey.Will a wild cat kill a tame, although loose rabbit?
My rabbit showed up today, in his bunny house, just after I scored you ';best answer';, so the cat DID NOT kill him...at least you earned some points! and I'm very happy, and so is bunny buns.

Report Abuse



we have two pet bunnies that we let run around in our apartment, when i got my cat he chased them and swatted at them and he would sit outside their cage waiting for them to be let out. had to get rid of him. so yes a cat will eat a bunny.
You had better believe it. When I was a child, one of my family's cats brought quite a treat back to the house from the woods out back: a headless snowshoe hare.
Yes, I am afraid it would. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know it must be quite painful for you but at least you can be pretty sure the rabbit didn't suffer very long..........
I am afraid so ---sorry--
It is very possible... I had a pet cat once that I raised from birth %26amp; he killed a wild rabbit once.
YES
With out a doubt the stray will eat your bunny and leave you nothing but some fur and a bag of rabbit food! You need to trap and remove the cat or cage your bunny fast.
Yes. Our cats would hunt rabbits all the time. They ate a lot of them.
Is that really a serious question? Cuz if it is, I feel really sorry for you. I mean, how smart do you have to be to figure out a cat can eat a rabbit.
Yes, a stray cat, stray dog, fox, coyote, oppossum, owl, racoon, etc....


will all take advantage of prey that is easy for them to catch. Domestic rabbits need to be protected.
YES Cats hunt prey. Tame bunnys are tame pets. Wild(untamed ) cats hunt prey. Tame bunnies = easy kill =easy meal. House your live bunnies to romp another day when killer kitty has gone away for lack of easy prey. Cats often kill for practice....not out of hunger, unlike most of the other carnivors. They will eat the brains out of their catch instead of devoiring them.
People put rabbits in hutches not to keep them in so much as to keep them from being eaten by other animals. Everything will eat a rabbit. Dogs, coyotes, cats, hawks, owls, ferrets, minks, ermine etc.
Probably, unless the rabbit is bigger than the cat. I hope your rabbit comes back, but I don't think the chances are good.
Yes cats can and will kill rabbits... I knew one who would bring bunnies home almost every day, (not my cat) thats one reason why I keep my cats inside because I dont want them killing anything, they dont need to. The stray cat may be starving and had no choice but to eat your rabbit or die... sad but maybe you should adopt the cat so it doesnt have to kill bunnies to survive.
I know of a cat that has killed baby bunnies. I don't know if a cat would go after something as big as full grown bunny. Maybe some other animal, a fox, or something.
possibly ferell cats can be quit aggressive and large enough to try for a rabbit
I wouldn't take a chance on it! My cat's have brought in dead rabbits, squirrels, etc.
im pretty sure that your bunny has been eaten by now. i also used to have alot of pet rabbits, but some of them would dig their way out of our yard and the stray cats in the neighborhood would eat them. some of the dogs close by would eat them too. i dont know if this is cheering you up, but i thought id answer your question anyway. i hope it helps somewhat.
Yes.
  • cover girl
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment