Monday, January 18, 2010

Why isn't rabbit bred for consumption like chickens, pigs, and cows?

As far as I have read, they are the leanest meat and reproduce rapidly. Anyone know why rabbit isn't sold in supermarkets?Why isn't rabbit bred for consumption like chickens, pigs, and cows?
When I was a kid in the late '60's and into the late '70's rabbit was available at most grocery stores in So. Ca. They even served it sometimes at the all you can eat place. Rabbit used to be more popular. I suspect that it is more a public perception of rabbits as cute cuddly pets rather than as food. Economically it should be low in production cost. When I have seen rabbit over the last several years it has been surprisingly expensive. BTW, rabbit is raised for food in other countries. Almost anywhere in Europe.Why isn't rabbit bred for consumption like chickens, pigs, and cows?
They are but just not as big an item as other meats. When i was a kid we had a lot of rabbit pens . ONE friend had them too and He sold a lot of them. We ate them too.
They are, but if you live in the United States we don't eat it as often as other countries. It is supposed to be a lean meat.
I really don't know, but I remember as a kid I ate rabbit my Mom cooked.
Rabbit is widely bred sold %26amp; eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment