Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I got a new rabbit, how do i make him comfortable with me?

i just got a bunny rabbit yesterday, its a boy and i named him cookie, hes very cute and really nice but i want him to be more close to me and be my friend, right now he just sniffs everything and i chopped up some apples, celery, broccoli, cauliflour, and carrots, and i put some timothy hay in his cage and he wont really eat any. how can i make my bunny happy and make him trust me?I got a new rabbit, how do i make him comfortable with me?
This might sound silly but this is what my i did when i got my first bunny when i was a child. I always used to play games with him. i would close the doors in my room and block off any un-safe space and race my bunny and laugh with Snicker-doodle (my bunny). Then i would get a salad and eat some then snicker would come up and start taking lettuce and eating it (without dressing, of course). Then i remember some days where i would watch TV with snicker and he would just fall asleep in my arms, that really made her warm up to me. I hope this helps you.I got a new rabbit, how do i make him comfortable with me?
I have raised several rabbits as pets. You have to handle them a lot and rub and pet them often, They are skittish by nature, so avoid sudden sounds or movements. One thing concerns me about what you said concerning feeding him..


It is NOT advisable to give a rabbit greens that have been refrigerated. Sometimes it can make them really sick. %26gt; He should be on a diet of rabbit food (pellets) and what ';salad'; stuff you give him should be fresh and un refrigerated. Garden lettuce, mustard greens, even cabbage is good straight from garden. market produce is generally refrigerated. Wild greens, like branch lettuce, doc (Plankton) and even Kudzu leaves are especially good.





Good luck with Cookie.
Try to play wif him or either pretend talking to him abt yr thoughts n feelings.





tat may sounds a little silly,but once yr pet rabbit get to knows u well,he will be comfortable wif u :)
spend as much time with him as you can....he will eventually warm up to you. good luck and be patient.
Try taking care of him or her and feeding him or her and play with him or her alot and then eventually he or she will start to love and care for u the same thing happened to me when i first got a bunny oh and if u don't pla or spend time with him for a long time he will start to get afraid and lonely
Well I got a bunny once too. At first I spent a lot of time with it got it extra sweets to give to it as treats. Also I showed it around the house for fun and giggles. Also I pet it a lot.





But in the end of it all its a bunny i don't really know if they can be ';friend'; like dogs and cats can be.
First of all take out the vegies and apples if you wnat him to last longer then a day.


too much of that will give him diarrhrea and will dehydrate him and that unless caught quickly leads to death. first get some proper quality rabbit food, pellets or a mix. not too much greens, and a small amount of hay,





for your bunny to get to know you, talk to him gently,never shout or make loud noises , so he knows your voice stroke himto begin with hand feed him bits of food so he gets used to your smell, leave a piece of old clothing in his bedding area, you will only need arm of an old sweater.





After a few days of doing this then you can start to pick him up becareful to hold him right so one hand under bottom so his hind feet are secure and the other hand under his neck and head, to start with he will kick and lash out as this is unnfamilliar try to do this a few times aday and he will get used to it.





you need to get him used to your voice and smells before you start to pick him up as he will not feel comfortable and one of you will come out scratched and bitten guess who?
Time and patience. Rabbits are prey animals and most by nature are timid. Sit on the floor near him and read a book and let him come to you. It may take time, but his natural curiousity will win out. at first, don't even try to pet him, just let him explore you. Every rabbit is different and some love to be petted sitting right next to you and even on your lap. Others want their space.


This is a great article that will help you bond with your bunny:


http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/shybun.htm鈥?/a>





If your bunny is still a baby, I'd go light ont he vegetables right now - introduce one at a time and in small quantities. Also if a baby, he should be getting alfalfa hay as well as alfalfa pellets. The links below have good information on bunny care including diet. Good luck.
feed him
You should get some rabbit food pellets.


Anyways, to answer your question, just spend time with Cookie (Outside of his cage!) Rub his back, and if he will let you pick him up. A treat at the beggining (a carrot or store boughten) will make your bunny happy. What makes you think he DOESN'T trust you?


Good Luck =]
At first, you can't hold him too much. Each day, hold him more and more. We didn't do this for a few days, and our bunnies went crazy and mean so we had to give them away. They need your love!
pet em.. and hold em a lot,.. let it run aroud the house..





call his name always (especially when time to eat)





XD
Feed him, give him a place to sleep, and leave him alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment