Saturday, January 16, 2010

Should my rabbit have any more babies?

I have a large female lionhead rabbit. She is nearly 3 years old . She has had 3 litters containing 18 babies in this time. Would it be cruel for her to have any more?Should my rabbit have any more babies?
I don't think I would consider it cruel for her to have more babies, but I think I would wait and skip a year or two before letting her have more. If you give her a year of rest to let her immune system build back up before having another litter she should be okay. Hope this helps! :)Should my rabbit have any more babies?
At the end of the day its up to you but i would recommend not breeding her again because lion heads aren't really supposed to have any more babies at the age she's at. Although since you said she is NEARLY 3 years old, if you wanted her to, she could probably squeeze in another litter without serious harm.





If you do decide to breed her again, give her a few months to recuperate after her last litter, watch her very carefully for any signs of things going wrong, make sure its her last one.





Keep in mind that, as she's older, the young she might produce may be a little smaller and possibly fewer in number.
I wouldnt breed her - if she is a pet then let her be a pet - not a tool to make more bunnies...





here is a link called ';Should I breed my bunny';








http://www.helium.com/items/1501194-shou鈥?/a>
Google.com
yes 3 years old is pretty old for a rabbit to give birth if you do breed her again wait a couple of months so she can regain her strength to have another litter


also there are many rabbits mistreated or cannot find homes for unless you plan to keep them all, I would suggest not breeding them unless you plan to show them or are an expert rabbit breeder.
Actually it would be OK to breed her IF it works, usually as a doe gets older (commonly around 4 years old) they are no longer fertile. But since she has been through birth three times already successfully, her pelvic would still be flexible for kindling but if I were you I would give it a break, she is getting on now and it wouldn't be fair in my view...





You can always buy another doe, or keep one from her litter if you still have them?

No comments:

Post a Comment