Saturday, January 16, 2010

Is my rabbit going to die?

My rabbit is 5 years old and a bit over weight. He is lethargic and will not eat/drink. His ears are cold and he smells REALLY bad. I am unable to take him to the vet, and i am afraid he is going to die. If any one knows what i can do to help him feel better, please let me know! Is he going to die?Is my rabbit going to die?
how do we know take him to a vet .i cant take him is not a good enough excuse I'm sorry but you take on pets vet care is part of owning a pet and 5 years old is not old for a rabbitIs my rabbit going to die?
I must say, 5 years old is a great age for a rabbit. You must really love and take care of him. :)





Well, sounds to me that unfortunately, your pet is not long for this world. But as they say, 'live and let die'. From your symptoms, he sounds in pain.. I'm afraid there's not much you could do. Just take care of him and make his last few months or so happy. :)
My rabbit used to not eat, but he died from sunstroke. Try going to petco or some other pet store and they will tell you how to make a special type of food for him. I did it, and he didnt eat, so i tried feeding him myself with a plastic fork and it really helped...... i am really sad that my rabbit died, becquse i recieved him on my birthday from my parents a couple years ago... so its ok ask a petco worker or someone else and trust me, it'll be ok
sounds like my guinea pig who has pnemonia because he last owners treated him bad..we had to give him antibotics for him to feel better but he only live for 3 years..you rabbit might need a vet or he might not live





what i would do is force feed him water with rodent vitamins until he gets his strength back
The averege lifespan of a rabbit is 5 - 8 years. Try this site for help.





www.exoticpetvet.net/smanimal/


rabbit.html
I've been raising rabbits for 25 years and I have a pretty good guess as to what the ailment is.





Turn your rabbit over and examine the rabbit around it's tail area. Or look around the cage and see if you see any runny poop. That foul odor you are smelling is normally a tell-tale sign that a rabbit has diarrhea. Normally, the only other reason why a rabbit has a foul smell is because it has vent disease. That is much less common and I doubt your rabbit has that.





First thing I'd ask you is: ';What are you feeding your rabbit?'; If you are feeding it any snacks like vegetables or grass or fruit or any other stuff besides just the rabbit pellets and water then I'd say to stop feeding you rabbit those immediately.





Make sure your rabbit gets plenty of water. Then for like the first day or so give your rabbit nothing but water and timothy hay, orchard grass hay, or straw to eat. Those are high in fiber and will help combat diarrhea. If it is a bad case of diarrhea go to the local Co-op and get some Neomycin. Neomycin gets added to the water. Read the directions, but as I recall a little dab will do ya in the water. It only takes about a quarter teaspoon or less per two gallons of water if I remember right.





Your rabbit may or may not die. It's hard to say. Usually diarrhea is pretty easily treatable as long as it isn't too far along and you catch it early enough. If you let it go for more than a few days, then you could be in trouble.





Diarrhea is the #1 disease that kills more domestic rabbits than any other disease. The sad part is that many times it occurs because the owner is feeding their rabbit improperly by giving it snacks that they shouldn't.
He may have a heart problem.
Maybe maybe not you need a vet to decide this...end of story.
one day, darling
Life expectancy of pet rabbits are 8-12 years so he has a way to go. Change his food, make sure he's warm and dry.


Do some research on the internet, not just here.


See what they like to eat, maybe you can find something he will eat.


Good luck.
from what ive read demesticated rabbits live between 6-8 years and sometimes as long as 15. it could be the case that there may not be anything you can do for your rabbit. For him he may just be old, and because of his weight shortened his lifespan a little.. I could be wrong but if you can't take him to the vet then i would do everything you can to make his life the best you can until you can get him to the vet or until he passes.. I hope im wrong but good luck
he might die i hope not try giving him different food it might work

No comments:

Post a Comment